Easy Stuffed Baked Tomato Side Dish
I love fresh tomatoes from the garden, but sometimes you want something a little fancier. This stuffed tomato is a wonderful side dish, very easy to make and it is great that it can be prepared early in the day. Anything prep work I can get done early is a bonus to me. This is a always a great addition to a dinner plate because it adds that nice bit of color. Have you heated up tomatoes? It really brings out the flavor! It is the time of year when tomatoes from the garden are in ample supply, so this is a perfect time to add these to your dinner table!
I really like adding these tomatoes to a dinner party menu because they add a nice pop of color to the dish. Try this recipe with some of the different colored tomatoes, too, it looks great with some of the orange colored ones. Prepare your tomatoes early in the day and refrigerate, then all you need to do when it is time to prepare dinner is pop them in the oven, and you have a delicious and visually appealing side dish to offer up!
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/8 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 C garlic flavored croutons
- 1 C grated parmesan cheese (the kind in the container on store shelves)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash each tomato and cut off the top stem. Cut a cone shaped piece of the tomato out so you have a well in the tomato to put your filling in.
- Crush your croutons in a bowl or zip top bag so they are small pieces, but do not crush them into fine bread crumbs.
- Mix the pepper, thyme, croutons and parmesan cheese and add olive oil to moisten all of the ingredients.
- Fill the well in each tomato completely with the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
The Finished Dish:
I hope you have some yummy tomatoes to pick in your backyard and try serving them up like this sometime this summer!
You can find this and other great ideas at the following link parties: Sweet Inspiration | Friday Five Features | Funtastic Friday | Best of the Weekend | Dare to Share | Bouquet of Talent | Merry Monday | The Scoop | Amaze Me Monday | Brag About It |
Such a yummy and colorful side dish! The perfect accompaniment to a steak bbq!
Thank you Melanie! You are right, it perfect with a steak!
Chloe, I love tomatoes! Your recipe is easy and looks delicious! I agree with Melanie, it would be great with a steak! Thanks for sharing! Pam @ Everyday Living
Thanks Pam, it makes a great lunch, too!
What a yummy and easy recipe this is Chloe. I could easily make this and not starve to death waiting for it. We also have one in greek cuisine which takes forever to me. Your version is so much faster. Pinning and sharing.
Thanks Mary, I do fix it for myself for lunch sometimes!
I love making stuffed tomatoes. This is a new version of them for me, but I’m excited to try it! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!
Thank you Megan, it is so easy, and so delicious!
Oh my goodness thank you so much for this stuffed tomato side dish recipe.