Individual Beef Wellingtons are one of my favorite dinner party entrees. They are delicious, guests are impressed, and more important than anything is the fact that they can be prepared early in the day, placed in the refrigerator and the only prep after your guests arrive is to preheat and put them in the oven. This leaves you free to visit with your guests or take care of any other foods which need to be prepared last minute. Although they sound and look impressive, individual Beef Wellingtons are not that difficult, particularly when you use prepared pie crusts!
- 2 four ounce beef filets
- 2 pie crusts (I use Pillsbury Already Pie Crusts)
- 3½ T butter
- 1 egg
- 1 C chopped onion
- 1 C fine bread crumbs
- 1 C chopped fresh chopped mushrooms (with 2 small button mushroom caps reserved)
- Salt and Pepper your filets on both sides and set aside.
- Cook the onion in 2 T of the butter.
- When the onion begins to grow transparent, add the mushrooms (except for the reserved caps) and the bread crumbs and continue to cook. If the mixture is too dry, you may add an additional 1 T of butter.
- After cooking the onion mixture for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Roll out a pie crust on a lightly floured surface.
- Place one filet in the middle of the pie crust.
- Put half of the onion mixture on top of the filet and top with one of your spare mushroom caps.
- Wrap the pie crust over the filet, sealing all edges with brushed on egg white.
- Repeat with your next filet.
- At this point you may refrigerate your Wellingtons until you are ready to cook them if you so choose.
- When you are ready to cook your Wellingtons, give them an egg wash and put them into a preheated oven at 400 degrees.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes for medium rare.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
Garnish your Beef Wellington with some extra pie crust cut out in a fun shape or the initial of the guest that it will be served to. This makes for a lovely presentation. Baked stuffed tomatoes are a great accompaniment to these and add some color to the dish when you serve it up!
Dive in and try this recipe, it really is simple and yet, your guests will be so impressed with the presentation, not to mention how wonderfully delicious these Beef Wellingtons are! My daughter prepared these for her husband recently and this has become his favorite date night meal!
I will be sharing this at the following Link Parties: A Stroll Through Life – Inspire Me Tuesday | Inspiration Board: Creative Party | The Weekend Social | Natasha in Oz: Sundays Down Under | Tickle My Tastebuds Link Party | LouLou Girls Fabulous Party | Make It Pretty Monday |