Live a More Elegant Life
My husband mentioned recently, after having his sandwich on one of the melamine plates we keep for the granddaughters that he wished we led a more elegant life. This got me thinking about what is an elegant life and how I can change things up to make our lives feel more elegant. I don’t think you have to live in an expensive home or have a huge budget to live an elegant life.
1. Make your front door welcoming. Put up a wreath or swag on the front door. Decorating your front door and putting out a pretty welcoming doormat make a statement both to guests, and for yourself!
2. Set a pretty table. Even if it is just the two of you, which it mostly is for my husband and I, it makes a difference when you sit down to a pretty table for a meal.
3. Buy yourself fresh flowers. They don’t have to be expensive, a few blooms from the grocery store is all it takes! For me, fresh flowers are always an elegant touch, and it is fun to treat yourself, too!
4. Put out pretty towels or fold your towels pretty. I am struggling with this one myself, since after showering our towels end up hung on a hook, and don’t look elegant at all. We will be renovating our bathrooms at some point and I am thinking hard as to how to position towel rods and hooks to make the bathrooms look nicer. For now, I think I will be buying myself a couple of new bath sheets, something that will help!
5. Make your bed every day. It has been said that making your bed will start your day off well and make you more productive throughout the day. I choose to believe that whenever you walk by that room, you will get the feeling that you do live an elegant life, like walking into a hotel room with the bed all nicely made.
6. Keep clutter at bay. A cluttered space isn’t an elegant space. We use baskets and boxes to keep the clutter hidden away. The box below was a bargain from Home Goods. It sits on a table in our foyer and the mail, keys and sunglasses get tucked in there as soon as we come in the door.
7. Add green plants to your interior. I know there are lots of good reasons for added green plants to your home, it is healthy, they add a bit of something natural and so on, but I think they add elegance to a home, too.
8. This one was contributed by my husband…NEVER serve a drink in a plastic glass. We will have to re-visit this when the pool goes into the back yard! 9. At least on occasion, serve up those snacks in a pretty dish instead of just opening up the jar of nuts or bag of chips and sticking your hand in!
10. Get yourself some pretty notecards and take the time to handwrite a note now and then. It doesn’t have to be a thank you or an invitation, it can simply be a “hello, I thought of you”. I am not sure there is anything more elegant than writing or receiving a hand written note!
Do you want to live a more elegant life? Might you incorporate some of these ideas? I have already put some of these into practice and plan on getting those new bath towels this week! Let me know what you think makes for a more elegant life! I love to hear from you!